Friday, December 29, 2006

Plans for 2007

It's fashionable to say "I don't do New Year resolutions", but I like them. I'm a great believer in turning over a new leaf, in re-inventing yourself, and in taking stock and taking action. In fact, I like resolutions so much I make them all the time, not just at New Year. That's what my monthly challenge polls are about - setting goals and targets and then holding myself to them.

So what changes will we be making in 2007? For one thing, we plan to do more with the allotment. We were only given a quarter of a plot, and half of that was very weedy, the other half having been under plastic sheeting for a season. So we cultivated the clean part, and laid the sheeting down over the weedy areas until spring. It was a smart way to begin, because the area was manageable. In fact we tried to cram rather too much in and some crops suffered from overcrowding. So now we can cultivate the whole of the plot we were given, but we have also been given another section of plot. Maybe this time we're overstretching ourselves, but we'll see.

Another goal for 2007 is to try our hand at beekeeping. I've looked up local courses, and the nearest one is fully booked up. I'm on a waiting list for 2008. But I'm looking further afield, and considering going on a weekend course somewhere. If all else fails perhaps I'll just dive straight in without any lessons. I'm good at learning stuff from books, willing to try things and see if they work, and sensible enough to join a local club for some expert advice if I come unstuck.

The main project for 2007 is to pay off our mortgage. We have calculated that if we were free of our mortgage and largely self-sufficient in food, Ed could afford to give up his full-time job. So we have spent the past couple of days making calculations about how much we can afford to tighten our belts and how quickly that will pay off the loans. Funnily enough this is the part that really makes me feel like we might actually one day buy some land. I'm confident that I can learn the knowledge and skills needed to make it work (perhaps foolhardily so), but what worries me is the ever rising cost of land and property. The financial aspect of buying a smallholding is the daunting bit, and it feels good to make steps towards that.

I'd also like to visit a smallholding or organic farm for some real hands-on experience and a taster of what it would be like to live like that permanently. To that end I have been investigating WWOOFs (voluntary working for brief periods on organic farms). You arrange with a farmer to come and do voluntary work for a weekend. I expect to work hard, but I also expect to learn a lot, not least whether this is really the life for me or should I just stick with my allotment and backyard chickens.

What are your plans for 2007?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did two weeks this summer at Ragmans lane farm in Gloucester, it's about 30 acres run along permaculture principles, and you don't have to join WWOOF before you go. Try and go at cider making time!!

next year I will be finally fitting my rainwater catchment system for the utillity room, and quitting smoking, and if I can buy the garden behind mine then I'll be getting chickens and a green house, fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

it's dibnah by the way

Anonymous said...

You're always welcome to come and visit us up in Aberdeenshire. There's always plenty of work to do and seldom a volunteer to be found!

Frankie said...

I would love to do what you are doing (& will cross my fingers for you). We are taking out a huge mortgage for the next 25 years to buy a cottage in the country which needs loads of work, I think I will have to work until I'm 80!

Anonymous said...

A visit to a site similar to your dream sounds like an ideal way forward, Mel. A visit to your friend, Stonehead, could, maybe, be combined with a visit to your Uncle Bob in Kemnay. He and his partner have, I believe, a fair bit of land though what they grow on it, if anything, I don't know. If I know my brother, it will probably be weed(s). But don't say I said that .

Anonymous said...

Apart from my lottie,digging still not finished. I will be having a major de-clutter at home,i`m sure the rooms are getting smaller. Trouble is i cant bare to part with anything..
Oh i`m also starting a photo diary 2007 on the first of Jan. A photo a day, i hope i can keep it going, should be intresting to look back on next year...Happy new year

Unknown said...

SOunds like a plan, Mel. I must do a yearly review for my place - offhand, edible hedge... soft fruit... irrigation... oh, and increase the veg beds by 50% 'cos we're still underproducing!

Anonymous said...

There you go then. Feel welcome to come up - we have a spare room upstairs and the snug can be turned into a bedroom with ease.

There's plenty of room for a caravan, or you could try camping in the summer.

We'll feed you up well, but don't worry there's plenty of work to burn it up again!

And yes, you really would be welcome as would Hedgewizard and many of the other Ishers.

Anonymous said...

chinese-online is a place to Learn Chinese at
http://www.chinesepal.cn
or
http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm
to find free chinese tutor to teach chinese madarin, a place to be!