Saturday, October 20, 2007

Roots, Pots, Legs and Bras

We've had a few hard frosts at night and the allotment is transformed. Squash plants deflate like a popped balloon. Runner beans turn black and limp. It's time to tidy up.

Spent plants can be put on the compost heap or dug directly into the ground. Beans in particular do a lot of good because they capture nitrogen from the atmosphere and "fix" it in the ground. You can pay a lot of money in a garden centre for nitrogen-rich fertiliser. Or you can just plant some beans and wait a season.

I'm fuzzy on the science, but I know these curious nodules on the beans' roots are involved (see the photo). The bottom line is - plant beans, dig them into the ground when they're finished, and put brassicas in the same earth next time. Brassicas love the nitrogen.

If you can't remember the order of the 4-crop rotation, try this mnemonic "Roots [point to ground, where roots grow], pots [point to your boots, like plant pots for humans], legs [point to your legs], bras [you can invent your own gesture for this one]". That's the order - roots, pots, legs and bras. Root veg first (like carrots, parsnips etc.), then pots (potatoes), next legs (legumes i.e. beans and peas) and finally bras (brassicas, that's cabbage, sprouts etc). Then you're back to roots again.

7 comments:

Chile said...

One advantage of a backyard garden over an allotment is privacy....which makes it so much easier to naturally add nitrogen to the soil.

Melanie Rimmer said...

Our kids are scared of the allotment toilet which, to be honest, is a bit scary. So they add their nitrogen to the compost heap with great glee.

Lesley said...

All I know is that if the dog gets caught short between walks, and does an occasional P on the back lawn, the result is an occasional dead patch of grass... so we take her out as often as she asks, unless extremely busy!

warriorwoman said...

I love that, I'll never forget the order for my crop rotation again. People may wonder why I'm pointing at myself though.

Chile said...

Well, it does need to be diluted, Lesley. If you immediately pour water where your dogs go on the lawn, it will help. Just carry a jug of water out with you. (We had to do this at a rental house!)

Anonymous said...

I used to empty my daughter's potty onto the compost heap at home, until she stared using the toilet. I also occasionally pee on my herbs, but always (try to) remember to rinse before using them to cook with.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mel, that's handy advice. You might just save me a fortune next year.