Thursday, April 15, 2010

Doesn't Make a Summer



As I was driving home after having coffee with a friend, I thought I saw two swallows on a telephone wire. I couldn't quite believe my eyes so I parked and came back for a better look. I have been watching them for a little while now and sure enough they are swallows. I have had a really good look at them both perching and in flight.

I know the old saying "One swallow doesn't make a summer" but two of them have lifted my heart this spring morning.

3 comments:

Yellow said...

Have you seen them in previous years, or is this your first sighting? They swoop over a field near me, but I've not seen them so far this year yet.

Melanie Rimmer said...

I see them every year but not normally so early in the year. They swoop back and forth over the field behind my house and I love to watch them, it only feels like summer once the swallows have arrived. And when I notice they have gone in the autumn it feels very melancholy. I have no idea what these two were doing here so early.

Kay said...

One swallow amazingly seen in Gloucestershire since 1 April! He's still on his own, however . . .